Megan Kerr. The clear choice for LBUSD School Board.
Long Beach Police Officers, Teachers and Firefighters all agree on Megan for LBUSD School Board
Thank you, Mayor Beverly O’Neill for your endorsement!
Another BIG Endorsement – Former LBUSD Superintendent Carl Cohn
Megan Kerr. . . a consistent and dedicated voice for public education in the Long Beach community.
Long Beach School Board Members Mary Stanton and Jon Meyer Endorse Megan Kerr in District 1 Race
Los Angeles County Supervisor Don Knabe announced his endorsement of our campaign
Hughes Middle School presented the National Green Ribbon Award in Washington DC
Former California State Superintendent Delaine Eastin backs Megan Kerr for LBUSD
Megan Kerr - School Board 2014
posted under: News
Thank you everyone for standing with us on Election Day. Just a quick note about the results–while we feel confident in the unofficial results and that Megan will be declared the winner, we should acknowledge there are still provisional and late arrival VBM (vote by mail) ballots to go through….
posted under: Endorsements
The Megan Kerr I Know I met Megan Kerr in the fall of 2004, almost a decade ago. I, along with several of my friends, was at the Long Beach City College Child Development Center for the first day of parent participation preschool for our kids, who were two. We…
With only four days left until Election Day, we got some great news—City Councilmember Al Austin is officially endorsing our campaign. We are so grateful for his support. Al told me today, “Your leadership and expertise about the Long Beach School Board is why I decided to support you. You’re…
March 24, 2014 This week, we received the endorsement of Former LBUSD Superintendent Carl Cohn. Carl currently serves on the California State Board of Education. Carl Cohn’s career as an LBUSD Superintendent was a distinguished one. During his tenure from 1992 to 2002, he developed and spearheaded initiatives that advanced the…
Mayor Beverly O’Neill is Long Beach’s only three-term Mayor. In 1998, she was re-elected with almost 80% of the vote, and was re-elected to a third term as a write-in candidate—the nation’s only mayor of a large city to accomplish such an historic feat. What I value even more for…
Restoring Public Education
As your School Board Representative, I will work to ensure the district reinstates cut programs while meeting our core educational objectives: reducing class size, enhancing math and science classes, and restoring art and music programs.
- Restoring Cut Programs – During the 2010 state budget crisis, we made necessary but painful cuts to the school district’s budget and still face a structural deficit. But now we have a real opportunity with the new Local Control Funding Formula to invest in our schools and restore the programs and positions that Long Beach students and their families are counting on.
- Enhancing Core Curriculum – One of the key tasks of the School Board in the next few years will be implementing the new Common Core standards of learning. As your representative on the School Board, I will work to enhance STEM subjects with other core curriculum, like social studies and English.
- Providing for Arts and Music Education – The skills students learn though arts and music education are critical to their future because it teaches creative thinking. From an early age, creativity helps children take a greater interest in their learning, develops problem-solving skills, and teaches them how to innovate. As School Board Member, I will support the effort to restore meaningful sequential arts education into the district’s core curriculum.
Preparing Our Students
On the School Board, I will focus on preparing our students for college or career by ensuring that funding goes straight into the classroom, where it helps our kids the most.
- Improving Graduation Standards – Currently fewer than half of the students in Long Beach Unified are able to apply to the UC or CSU system upon graduation because they do not meet the application requirements. One of my top priorities as School Board Member will be increasing the A-G Completion Rates of LBUSD students so the majority will be eligible for our state universities and colleges upon graduation.
- Closing the Achievement Gap – Long Beach schools are some of the best in California, but the achievement gap between white students and students of color is one of the worst in California. One of the School Board’s top priorities must be to improve student performance across all demographic groups and close the achievement gap. I will work with my colleagues, parents, and the community to solve this critical problem.
- Keeping Kids in School – There are steps we can and must take to improve the graduation rate in Long Beach schools. It starts with identifying and supporting at-risk youth, but we must also change some key policies, particularly the punitive suspension and expulsion policy that kicks kids out of school. As School Board Member, I will support a revised School Discipline Policy that promotes retributive justice so students are not simply punished for their bad behavior, they work to correct their mistakes through apologies and service to their teachers and classmates.
Keeping Our Schools Safe
Kids and teachers have to feel safe so they can learn. As your School Board Representative, I will promote school safety in order to promote academic excellence.
- Stopping they Cycle of Bullying – Studies show that children who are victims of bullying are significantly more likely to miss school and bullying is the reason why suicide is the leading cause of death among children under 14. As School Board Member, I will support key initiatives with a special focus against bullying by identifying the underlying factors of each bully’s actions and correcting their behavior immediately.
- Supporting Our LGBT Youth – The education system has made tremendous strides over the years to protect LGBT students and create student allies for in the schools. As School Board Member, I will continue that progress by ensuring full compliance with AB 1266, providing improved and up-to-date Sex Ed curriculum, and incorporating the Long Beach values of inclusiveness and understanding in our schools, passing them down to the next generation.
- Being Prepared -The terrible events of the Sandy Hook shooting were a wake-up call to the education community that we must be prepared for emergency situations. Whether it is guns in our schools, earthquakes, or any other emergency, preparedness is key. I will support our school-based law enforcement officers and work on emergency preparedness initiatives with faculty and student leaders to ensure that our schools are always a safe place to learn.